Friday 27 April 2012

New York City: Day 2 - April 22

It poured on Sunday. In the morning it was just a light drizzle but it got worse and worse as the day went on. Nevertheless, we still tried to do as much as possible without letting the rain put a damper on things.

Quick breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts

We started the morning off at the Dunkin' Donuts across from the hotel. Their iced tea was $0.99 any size. I got a sweetened lemon iced tea but I can never get used to the flavour of the iced tea in the States. I tried a peach iced tea also from Dunkin' Donuts later in the day and it was disgusting. The cheese bagel twist my mom and I shared for breakfast was good though. I saw Nicole's favourite Bavarian Creme Donut but it was too much sugar for me to eat in the morning.

In the morning, we shopped at Herald Square - Forever 21, Victoria's Secret, H&M, and Uniqlo. I love how enormous the stores are in NYC. Everything is so neatly displayed and it's easy to find your size. Also, no tax for clothes and shoes under $100! I bought a bunch of tops from Forever 21 and Uniqlo. Can we please get a Uniqlo in Toronto? I love that store!

We headed to Rockefeller Centre after and hunger struck so we grabbed 2 slices at Harry's Italian Pizza Bar. The pizza was pretty good but it could just be because we were incredibly hungry. It's funny that I wasn't hungry at all while we were shopping and the minute my mom noted it was past 12pm, I couldn't think of anything else but getting some food into my stomach.

Pepperoni and Sausage slice

Rockefeller built all in LEGO

We took a walk around 30 Rock, checking out the NBC Experience Store (so tempted to buy a "Troy & Abed in the Morning" cup!), Anthropologie, the Lego Store, and Radio City Music Hall. In comparison to the last time I was in New York, there was considerably less people and only one crazy fool skating in the rain.

After a quick break at the hotel to drop off our purchases, we headed down to West Village. I love that each neighbourhood in New York City has a different feel. We browsed a few Marc Jacobs stores and my mom bought me the Classic Q Natasha purse as a graduation gift. I still feel really guilty for spending so much on a purse but I loooove it! It's the perfect size for me and I love that I can wear it as a shoulder bag or cross-body. And it will always stay in style. Every girl needs a classic black purse.

By this time, it was pouring and it was getting annoying juggling an umbrella, my purse, a map, and trying not to get the Marc Jacobs bag wet. Before we headed back to the hotel, I gave my mom a little tour of where I lived the last time I was in the city and we made a stop at Magnolia Bakery (made famous on Sex and the City). The bakery smelled good but I was disappointed to find that the cupcakes were self-serve and the service wasn't very friendly. I guess that's the downfall of too much success?

Outside Magnolia Bakery

Pistachio Cupcake - almost forgot to take a picture.
It was super moist but had too much icing
Red Velvet Cupcake - it was alright, nothing special

By night time, my mom and I were exhausted from walking all day and the rain didn't make going out look appealing so we headed down to Tick Tock Diner once again. I promise, it was the last time we went (but it was tempting to go back one more time for waffles). We shared a big bowl of Tomato Basil Spaghetti with meatballs and side salad as well as a plate of onion rings.

Dinner at Tick Tock Diner

To end the night, we watched The Amazing Race and Game of Thrones in our hotel room. Free HBO! Joffrey and his weird sexual fetish made the night a little awkward....haha.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading about your NYC trip, and super jealous of your new Marc Jacobs bag :) Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be super tempted to get a "Troy & Abed in the Morning" cup too, haha!

    ReplyDelete