Sunday 29 April 2012

New York City: Day 3 - April 23

Before any of the stores opened, my mom and I took a walk in Central Park. The paths were still a little wet from the rain the previous night but at least it wasn't raining anymore. It was a nice stroll but I'd still like to go back to Central Park one day when it's warm out and the lawns aren't blocked off.

Walking down Literary Walk. It's so pretty in person!

Pretending to be a model in Central Park

After walking a big U at the park, we checked out the Apple Store on 5th Avenue. I have no idea why but I always wanted to walk into that glass cube. Next door was FAO Schwartz. We browsed through all the toys and checked out the "Big Piano". I got super dorky when we were in the book section and I saw a bunch of old children's books I used to read. They've also got a big candy section called FAO Schweetz. They have the best gummy bear selection I've ever seen. I bought some mango, pineapple, peach, and green apple gummy bears. Yum!

LEGO Statue of Liberty in FAO Schwartz
Scooping up some mango gummy bears

We continued our walk down 5th Avenue stopping at Uniqlo (yes, we bought more clothes), Joe Fresh (it looked so upscale in comparison to being in a Loblaws!), Saks 5th Avenue (where I fell in love with clothes I could never afford), and Urban Outfitters (almost bought a pair of Toms for $48, no tax!). Lunch time rolled around and we were in the Rockefeller area so we stopped there for lunch at Cucina & Co. where my mom and I shared pasta and some veggies from the salad bar (stay tuned for another visit to Rockefeller...). Once our bellies were filled, we continued our walk to the New York Public Library and Grand Central Terminal.

Outside the New York Public Library.
The lions are nicknamed Patience and Fortitude. How cute! :)



Grand Central Terminal with the Chrysler Building in the back

Inside the Main Concourse at Grand Central

Because our feet weren't tired enough yet, we headed down to the Soho and Chinatown area to check out other neighbourhoods in New York. I found the Topshop in Soho but sadly couldn't find anything to buy. The Chinatown in New York was surprisingly cleaner than I expected. I read that the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory had some of the best ice cream in the city so I made it a mission to find it.

So many choices! They even have a Linsanity flavour!

They had a big selection of flavours including common Asian flavours like Red Bean, Taro, Ginger, and Black Sesame but I decided to go with their Lychee Sorbet. Pat on the back for picking a good flavour, haha. The lychee flavour was delicious and there were bits of lychee in it too. Yum! I was going to find the Georgetown Cupcakes store (made famous on TLC) but by this point, we were too full to eat more.

After a break at the hotel to rest our feet and get hungry again, we headed down to West Village for dinner. We couldn't decide on one place so we decided to get take out from two places: A Salt & Battery and Benny's Burritos! In hindsight, we should've ate the fish fresh instead of bringing it back to the hotel but it was still pretty tasty.

Fried haddock fish.
They've got great homemade tartar sauce!

Chicken burrito from Benny's Burrito. Jealous, Nicole? :)
P.S. I think their tacos are better, haha.

Sidenote: I know it looks like I'm on this trip alone but my mom didn't want to be in the pictures!

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, you make me want to shop! And OH MAN THAT BURRITO!!!! =O =O!!!

    ReplyDelete