Tuesday 18 April 2017

The 5 Love Languages

The other day, I was browsing Buzzfeed videos and I came across this one about Love Languages. I can never resist an online quiz so I decided to look more into it. It turns out the Love Languages are actually based on a book that was written in the 90s which explains that there are 5 universal ways that people express and interpret love.

In a nutshell, the 5 Love Languages are:
  1. Words of Affirmation: expressing affection through spoken praise or appreciation
  2. Quality Time: expressing affection by giving your undivided attention
  3. Receiving Gifts: giving/receiving gifts that are meaningful or thoughtful to show appreciation
  4. Acts of Service: lending a helping hand; actions are used to show you care
  5. Physical Touch: physical connections (e.g. hand holding) makes you feel safe and loved
There's a bunch of different quizzes online but I decided to try this PDF one, mainly because it was from the official website and I didn't have to register my email to do it. 

For the most part, my answers were spread out pretty evenly but the one that was the highest for me was "Physical Touch", which now that I think about it, is quite true. If my boyfriend is standing in front of me, I like hugging him from behind. If we're watching TV together, I like resting my head on his shoulder. If he's sitting down, I'll give him a shoulder rub. And I appreciate the reciprocated actions :) It's odd because I've never been really touchy-feely (e.g. I'm not usually the one who initiates hugs with friends) but maybe being in a relationship after eons of being single changes a person. 

The "language" with the lowest score for me was "Quality Time", which makes sense to me. I'm the type of person who is loyal to the people I care about regardless of time spent together. Even if we haven't spoken in a while, I will always have your back. You can live halfway around the world or on the other side of the country and we may not get the chance to chat very often but you can be sure that my feelings for you won't change - once a friend, always my friend :)  

"Receiving gifts" was my second highest by the way *wink wink, nudge nudge, Darrell* hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment