Monday 18 June 2012

Dinner at Fraticelli's

Last Friday, my parents decided to go out for a joint 30th Anniversary and Father's Day dinner and asked me to pick a restaurant. I did a little research on Urbanspoon for nice restaurants in the Richmond Hill area and settled on Fraticelli's near Leslie/16th Ave. I had never been and was worried since the more reviews I read, the worse the service was sounding but it was ranked in the Top 10 for the area so I decided to just take the risk.

I wish I took more pictures but the lighting in there was too dark.

I made a reservation the day of and we got our table really quickly. Our waitress was really nice and suggested we order appetizers since the kitchen was busy. Even with the warning, I didn't think the service was slow at all. We got our food at a nice pace and all my worrying was for nothing. I really wish I remembered to take more pictures because the food was delicious and the portions were pretty big.
For our appetizers, we got:
  • Fritto Misto ($13) - lightly dusted crispy fried calamari, shrimp, fennel and zucchini. Served with grilled lemon and garlic basil aioli.
    • There were so many calamari and the shrimp was juicy and delicious. The lemon and aioli went with them perfectly. 
  • Small Antipasti Board ($11) - a selection of Italian cheeses, cured meats, marinated vegetables and olives. Served on a wood board with grilled crostini.
    • There's nothing fancy (like the meats and cheese you would find at Buca) but for $11, it was a good mix of foods. I also learned that I really like figs.
They also had complimentary bread that's warm and crusty on the outside and comes with a spicy oil for dipping.  By this point, we were already full but we still had our mains to eat!
  • Mom ordered Veal Parmigiana ($24) - Romano crusted and topped with tomoato pomodoro sauce, melted provolone, mozzarella and friulano cheeses. Served with pappardelle noodles in sundried tomato pesto cream sauce. 
  • Dad ordered  Spaghetti del Pescatore ($22) - fresh spaghetti, mussels, calamari, clams and tiger shrimps all tossed in a spicy tomato white wine sauce. Garnished with a lemon wedge and oregano. 
  • I ordered the Contadina Pizza ($16) - Italian plum tomato sauce, provolone and friulano cheese, fiore di latte mozzarella, basil, crumbled Italian sausage, sauteed onions and rapini. 
My pizza was way bigger than expected. We saw some pizzas coming out of the kitchen and they were all circular and mine was this huge oblong shape, not that I'm complaining. The sausage was spicier than I expected but still delicious and  obviously the sauteed onions were a big reason I ordered the dish. Mom and I couldn't finish and ended up bringing half our dinners home for lunch the next day. Overall, I really liked Fraticelli's. The portion sizes were big, the prices were decent, the food tasted good, and the service was better than I expected. Hopefully it wasn't just a fluke.

Oh yeah, I also finished a glass of wine for the first time! Jules and the Cul de Sac Crew would be so proud! Well, it was really half a glass...I'm trying to like wine but my palette is clearly not refined enough. My parents pretty much drank a whole bottle of wine together and got drunk, haha. Happy Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment