Wednesday 6 June 2012

Making Lunch at Home

My favourite kind of meal to make is one where I don't have to follow a recipe. It's really more of a "what can I find in the fridge and throw together?"


My mom had some leftover romaine lettuce in the fridge one day so I scrounged up everything I could find in the fridge and threw it in the bowl to make a hodgepodge salad. In went some tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, flaked chicken, feta cheese, and red onion. I added some walnuts for crunch and drizzled a mango chipotle dressing. Oh my gosh, it was SO good! It took me by surprise. It was a mix of sweet and salty and different textures. Yum! Who knew I would start craving salads?



Salad #2 was pretty tasty but it didn't live up to my first magical salad. This time around I threw in some blackberries and grapes along with tomatoes, cucumbers, feta cheese, and walnuts. It's a strange combination but it works. I like having different colours on my salad; it makes it look so pretty! Also, I recommend Kraft's Mango Chipotle dressing - it's perfect for bringing together a sweet summer salad.

My homemade pizza! I always go overboard with the toppings but it sure does taste good. I sauteed some onions until they turned a golden brown (you don't know how much I love caramelized onions, ugh so good!) and tossed in some leftover knackwurst from our barbecue the night before. Then I grabbed a naan, spread some pesto over it and placed my onions and sausage on top. Then I chopped some cherry tomatoes and fresh basil and threw those on top and baked the whole thing for 5 minutes. Not bad for an "emptying the fridge" meal.

1 comment:

  1. I made macaroni salad the other day for a potluck (I still have SO much of that leftover because as you know...my family does everything in bulk LOL). Well anyway, it involved macaroni (obviously), ham, egg, Cheddar cheese, black pepper, and some mayo mixed with Caeser dressing...

    Clearly our definition of "salads" are very different LOL!

    ReplyDelete